Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Wegular Wednesday

I made it through teaching the physics lesson today! Yay! I'm afraid that telling them it was an open book test might have lessened their interest in listening, but they were complaining about having another whole module in one week, so I told them up front. Good news/Bad news kind of thing.

I walked after we got home, and it was cold, but refreshing. Good to clear my head in many ways. I've been praying a lot for summer jobs for everyone. I'll be interested to see what God provides.

OK, before I forget again, I have to write a little bit about the book I've been reading, Debt-Free U, by Zac Bissonnette. First of all, clever title. When you say it, you think "Debt-Free You." But when you see it, it makes you think of college. Clever. He's a good writer--I've laughed out loud many times. And he's very opinionated for a 21 year old college student. Reminds me of Dave Ramsey, but Dave has earned the right to be opinionated because he's lived through it all and come out wiser. However, since I mostly think Zac is right, I guess it's OK. In some ways, he's earned the right to be opinionated because he's living through the college thing right now and working a couple of jobs doing it. And he's very anti-debt and gives great reasons backed up with statistics about why student loans are a very bad idea.

One thing I really like is that he addresses all of the hype about going to college and looks at things more logically. In many ways, we've done just what he's talking about. Not being "afraid" of going to a state school but taking the best deal and making the best of it, which has turned out to be GREAT! And he actually likes state universities for many of the same reasons we've talked about: greater diversity, greater choice of majors, more like the real world in that you have to learn to figure things out and get what you need without someone holding your hand.

Anyway, I just thought this was funny in talking about "finding the right fit" for college (which he thinks is kind of silly--at least the way some people go about it). So, he said this girl visited this really expensive college "and found the idyllic college--students tossing Frisbees and lying on greens. She saw campuses through her artist's eye, and she liked the way the light filtered through the trees at Skidmore." He says, "Please, please, please: do not allow your child to pick a college based on the way the light filters through the trees. Really. There is little reliable data to suggest that arboreal luminescence is a good predictor of college success." Bwahahaha! Thankfully, Kent has lovely trees and good arboreal luminescence!

Yeah, there were several other sections I thought were good, but I guess you'll just have to read the book. One more thing--he calls the textbook people, "the textbook cartel." Just funny.

I made quiche for dinner, but it was very American I'm afraid--no gruyere cheese. Just provolone/mozzarella and ham, green peppers, and onions. So more a Denver quiche than French one! But it was good even so. Plus banana chocolate chip muffins, salad, and fruit. And we finished off the cake from Saturday for our treat.

Tomorrow I need to do laundry and get ready for Monday's classes. April is supposed to come over and pick out some earrings for some friends in the afternoon. So hopefully I can fit in a walk again tomorrow. I feel so much better when I do!

We're watching American Idol again. It's OK, but not something I'd worry about missing if I had to. Chuck was really good this week. Ya'll will have to catch up--you'll be lucky to get to watch many episodes in a row and not have to wait in between! It's getting complicated!

Well, I guess that's about it for today. I am grateful for everyone doing well--we have much to be thankful for. I think about that often in the midst of praying about the future. Don't forget to enjoy NOW!! So, until later, dear reader!

1 comment:

Kaite said...

1. I'm glad SOMEBODY'S praying for summer jobs. It crosses my mind every now and then, honest ;)

2. BAHAHAHA! I'm pretty sure Kent has never been evaluated on arboreal luminescence, but I'd give it a 9.5!

3. mmm, your meal sounds yummy too :) My mouth waters at the thought of banana chocolate chip muffins...weird...

Love!