Saturday, January 29, 2011

A FREE Day!

We had a good time last night with our small group, but it was a king of weird night too. People all came at different times: 6:30, 7, 7:30, 8pm. So it was hard to eat and feed everyone at one time, and it wasn't until about 8:40pm that we were all fed and could start talking about how everyone is doing, and whether or not we wanted to do the next study and when that could work. Our group may be just a smidge big to really accomplish things, but I can't imagine not having everyone there. It wouldn't seem right. So, we'll see how doing a study actually works out.

Angie called and said they weren't bringing the kids because their van wouldn't start, so everyone couldn't fit in their other car. Her mom and dad came over though, so Jason and Angie could come. I'm sure it was nice for them to have the night off--but not so nice to have car problems.

I also felt bad because Kyle doesn't eat meat, and I forgot and put meat in both pans of rigatoni. I have usually left it out of one, and thought about it earlier, but when I was actually doing it, I was talking and just making them both the same. I thought maybe he would just eat the noodles and pick out the meat since there's not much in there anyway, but he didn't. He just ate salad and bread and fruit. Oh well. Jason made this awesome, from-scratch chocolate cake too for Justin's birthday, but Kyle only likes chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream. We didn't have enough to offer everyone, so he just had a couple of bites of Lisa's. I guess he's pickier than I realized!

Everyone stayed later too--until about 11pm, and I had a little cleaning up to do, so went to bed kinda late. Well, not everyone stayed until 11, but the Bloughs left first at 10:15/10:30. Eli and Toby were raring to go and didn't seem very tired to me. Until Eli laid down on the beanbag upstairs, and then he looked like he could fall asleep! Just keep moving!! That's how little kids do it.

Emerson can crawl all over now, pull himself up on things sometimes, very amazing! Since we haven't met for a couple of months, all the babies seem so much bigger and more advanced. A couple of months is a long time for them. Eliana is looong and holds her head up and is so alert. Such a pretty baby!

Today has been my FREE day! I started it off by sleeping until 9am--which was good since I went to bed late, but it did make my day seem shorter. I decided to try straightening my hair since it wasn't very curly yesterday, and with my good flat iron, it wasn't hard. Too long though. Makes me sad, because she didn't cut it the length I told her to, and now I have to wait so long to get it cut again, and it will be SUPER-too-long by then. I think I was so tired of having too-long hair, and I was so excited to have it cut off, that it just doesn't seem short enough to have that Ahhh feeling of getting my hair cut. However, I do need to wash it and style it myself before passing complete judgement, since it is always shorter when I do it curly.

I started working on reading 48 Days and answering the questions at the end of the chapters and taking notes. It is really good, and I think all of us girls at least should read it. It makes the distinction between vocation, career, and job. And it makes a good point about finding what you are uniquely gifted by God to do, and then finding a unique way to do it in world. There are many ways to use an education in a given field, and if we are doing something we truly enjoy doing and are passionate about, we will be more likely to be successful and fulfilled. It's good, thought-provoking material. So, don't feel like you girls need to teach in a school to use your talents and gifts and educations--there are many ways to serve the world! Maybe we can get the book and go through it this summer.

It also talks about setting goals which I have not done for ages. I think my goals have been to do school and take care of our family and home, and I've forgotten that in those things, I can still set goals and accomplish more if I do. So, I'm working on that too. It's scary in a way to put a goal down on paper--but he says that's where the real power of a goal comes in. Writing it down makes it more concrete and more likely to happen. So, I'm working on it!

I was happy to see that Katie thinks Kent ranks a 9.5 on the arboreal luminescence scale. All that for the cost of a state university! What a bargain!

So, after working on that stuff for a while, I ate and went for a walk with Jeff. Then he and Abby went to see Voyage of the Dawn Treader in 3D at the dollar theater. $3.50 each because of the 3D! Woo--expensive! I had a quiet time and read more. Now they are home, and we will have pulled pork for dinner from the freezer--a true day off if I don't have to cook! The French fries are cooking right now. Then we are watching Fame--maybe even while we eat--in front of the TV like real Americans!

Tomorrow, church, and later babysitting for h20, and then the week begins again. But it has been nice to have a day off. I plan to plan it in the schedule on a regular basis. I still didn't get to fit in all I would have liked to do, but that's always the way it goes.

Well, it smells like the FF are almost done, so I best be going. Loved hearing about Katie's yummy food/travels today! Such beautiful places! Hoping Hannah had a great weekend away! Looking forward to hearing about that too! Until then, dear readers!

No comments: