Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Teaching, Errands, and American Idol

I don't really think this is the best use of my time, but I'm watching "American Idol" with the new judges. Well, they aren't here watching with me; I'm watching the show, and IT has the new judges. (It would be way too creepy to have Steven Tyler here, but JLo seems nice.) It's just so many people who really can't sing. But, I am also reading a book I just got from the library today called Debt-Free U about getting through college without debt. Very timely and suggested by Dave Ramsey. The guy who wrote it is 21, and by the time he was a freshman in college, he had a five figure stock portfolio, so he knows something about money. He also reinforces the concept that the most expensive school is not necessary to get a good education, a good job, and to live a happy, productive life. Just good to have someone else say it. I'll be interested to see how he proposes the rest of us regular folks manage this feat.

Today, I went to BOW around 11am and made copies for science. I actually figured out how to make double-sided copies without help. Amazing! I ate lunch and then taught a whole module of science and still finished 10 minutes early. I had to keep feeding the kids candy to keep them from zoning out. :) Of course, I still had people forgetting their stuff from before break and not handing in their assignments on time. We'll have to work on that!

We went to the library and Abby went in and stayed there while I went to the bank and Giant Eagle. Picked up Abby and home to unload everything, helped Abby a wee bit with Geometry, and then she watched "Stick It" and I kind of did too and started my quiet time. Whew. Then I made spaghetti for dinner--Jeff had a meeting with Mike and Dick, so he wasn't here. Started reading my book, then AI came on, and here we are.

I got a phone call from Kent State--a nice Freshman girl who is an English major--wanting to tell me about a scholarship I may not have heard about. It involves giving money to the University and then having your name put into a drawing to win a scholarship. They didn't seem interested in any amount under $100, but I could have split it up into easy payments! Sorry, we're trying to save our money to actually PAY for college, not give it in hopes of "winning" some money for college. And the scholarship--at least one of them--was a $500 book scholarship. Kinda like the lottery, huh?

Last night Greta's tummy was growling, but she wouldn't eat her food. Jeff finally put her outside to go potty, and of course she had to be washed off afterward, so when we went to bed, she was still wet. So Jeff put a blanket on the ottoman and made her sleep there. She made the most pitiful noises, but she stayed there all night until 6:15am when Jeff's alarm went off, and I moved her over. She seems OK today and ate her food and all. Maybe it was a doggy religious holiday yesterday and she was fasting. I don't know. She's a funny dog!

I'm supposed to go to Angie's house tomorrow to chat with her and Alycia--first time in a very long time. Now I just hope that no one's kids get sick--that's always a risk this time of year. Well, anytime of year with little kids. We don't have Bible study tomorrow night because Ron and Linda have been sick for a couple of weeks with colds/bronchitis. Glad they aren't spreading it to us. They're thoughtful that way.

It's been a good day. I like teaching at BOW. But dear Dick Goddard just said that there may be a lot more snow coming our way. I am getting a little tired of that. Today was cold, rainy/sleety/snowy, and so I didn't go for a walk. Too tired after all of that other stuff and the yucky weather wasn't appealing. Whatcha gonna do? It's Ohio in January, huh?

OK, time to go to bed now. Till later, dear reader!

1 comment:

Kaite said...

Maybe it was a doggy religious holiday yesterday and she was fasting.

BAHAHAHAHA!!!!! SO FUNNY!!

I love the funny little bits tucked into good, solid news--like honey on whole grain bread :)