Friday, January 21, 2011

It's C-C-C-Cold Outside! Brrrr......

Today it is BITTERLY cold! Abby checked, and the wind chill is -6 degrees. The actual temperature is below 20 and the wind whips by sometimes taking your breath away! Whew! Glad I don't work outside today!

I cleaned the house since it's Friday and all. I then ate lunch and went to the bread store in hopes of finding some more of that awesome bread we had last time. They didn't have the exact same kind, but I tried two other "multi-grain" ones to see if they are as good. Plus, I had a full "frequent shopper" card, so I got maple twist rolls for FREE! I decided to get something I wouldn't spend money on, but that I like (or at least I used to like them when I was a kid). I am looking forward to eating them with a cup of coffee tomorrow morning.

Then I went to the thrift store because I had a $5 off a $10 purchase coupon that expired on Sunday, and I did NOT want that to go to waste--no way! I got 11 items for $13. A skirt for school, three"grandpa" cardigans (one rust colored and one green and one baby blue), a grey long-sleeved Gap T-shirt, a burgundy/purply Ann Taylor cardigan with satin-covered buttons--three quarter length sleeves so dressier than just a cardigan. Also, a rust-colored silk Ann Taylor cardigan and a scarf that matches, a coral Gap turtleneck. And, a dark purple long-sleeved top, and a blue sweater. Wow! Many of the items were half-priced so they cost a dollar or even 75 cents, and then they took off $5 at the end. How nice! A very productive trip!

Then I came home and Abby ended up not having to babysit after all, so I am "helping" her with Geometry. Really, I'm just answering questions if she has them, doing my nails, checking email, reading Katie's blog, and now blogging myself.

Hannah called, and I was glad to hear that she is feeling better today. We talked about if she should go to the Korean food night with ShuFen and Andy, but since her stomach hasn't been feeling great, and it will be a late night, and it's off campus so she can't just walk home, she thought it might be best to stick with the h2o girls' night at a coffee shop. It's great to see how she is keeping up those relationships--or trying to when she can--even with Katie gone. However, Korean food doesn't sound like it would be the easiest on the tummy tonight! There will be other opportunities I'm sure.

Tonight Jeff and I are planning to finally use our Chili's gift card that he got from LT for helping out. Yes, we did plan to go out on the coldest night of the year. No, I am not excited about the cold, but Yes, I am excited to spend some time with my dear hubby and to get to chat and relax. And not having to cook dinner is great too. Abby just asked what was for dinner, and we decided that she could make a French bread pizza and then I'm totally off the hook! She has already ordered "How to Train Your Dragon" from the RedBox from Dad--I think there is back-rub repayment involved in him stopping to get it. We are also planning to return the one pair of shoes that Katie did not want to keep from Marshall's. Can't believe it's been over two weeks since we went shopping, and that she has been in France almost two weeks! Wow--time goes fast even in the dead of winter. Though I do feel like I've had some time to sleep and catch up, so maybe I've just slept through a lot of it!

I am planning to get my hair cut next Friday, so I am thinking I might want to get a new hairstyles magazine tonight too. I want to have a picture so I don't end up with something I really don't like. A picture really is worth a thousand words when dealing with hair--and it avoids major surprises when I say something that means something totally different to her.

Tomorrow the Karen girls are coming over, so I'll be making "soup and rice" in the morning. I also got "French friesh" since we haven't had them for so long--the girls or the FF. :) It looks like we may be going to Kent (to take a sleeping bag to Hannah for the Core Retreat) on Sunday after church and bumming lunch off of her too. We thought that was a fair trade. We've been warning her that we're going to come and mooch food off of her meal plan sometime. And now we are...Duh, Duh, Dunh....She was warned!

Well, that about sums up Friday here at our house. I think I will now go and have a quiet time before Jeff gets home--I'm getting hungry which is a good thing I think. Sometimes I'm not hungry enough when we go out for dinner, and that causes problems. But hopefully I won't be TOO hungry which has also caused problems in the past! At least we know where we're going, so I won't have to make decisions when I'm "hamster hungry" and can't think straight. Until next time, dear reader!

3 comments:

H. Yackley said...

You know... you could always do a bit of "convenience store" grocery shopping too, if you really wanted to :-P I've got too much money on my meal plan!

yack said...

Don't worry - we can come over for Sunday lunch for SEVERAL Sundays!

Kaite said...

This was a good post! Nice and long!