Friday, January 14, 2011

A Fairly Productive Friday

Last night I continued reading Jon Acuff's book and laughed out loud at many parts. I sometimes think it's better when you read it to yourself than out loud because it strikes you differently--maybe it's imagining how he would say it or something. Even though I've only heard him a couple of times thanks to Abby. And no criticism meant about how Jeff read it. It could also be that I was so tired out I couldn't "get" the funny things as well. Anyway, I have enjoyed it.

I also looked through some hair magazines and online for pictures for a new hair cut. My hair is way too long, and I'd love to do something different. But having curly hair just makes it so difficult to do anything really different besides longer or shorter. Alas...

Today I cleaned the house and found myself having time to do the things I haven't had time to do for a while like really scrub the kitchen sink, wash my comforter, take down more of the "winter" decorations that really looked too much like Christmas. I left up the white lights for a little while more because it makes everything more cozy, but got rid of most of the red/green stuff. I finished that around 12:30pm, ate some soup, and a lady came to pick up her bracelet that she had ordered in December. I had made one with a clasp and one with elastic in case she couldn't manage the clasp--it's hard to do one-handed. She liked them both, but did have trouble with the clasp, so picked the elastic one. When she asked how much she owed me and I said $7, she said, "Oh! Only $7? Then I'll take them both!" So I made $14 more today! What a nice surprise!

I went for a walk right after she left, and right after I got back, I went to pick up Hannah to come home for the weekend. It was a smooth trip over and back, and it's great to have her home. We chatted with Abby for a little before she had to go to "work" babysitting. It IS work, by the way, but we always say she's going to work. She said Nathan likes it when she speaks with her Gru/Katie inspired Russian accent!

I made smoked sausage and tilapia, au gratin potatoes (from a box, I must confess!), peas, applesauce, banana cc muffins. I almost burned the muffins because right about when I should have been watching them closely, Hannah was reading us Katie's blog post, and I got so interested in that, I almost forgot them. They were nicely browned just like Katie likes them! But the rest of us ate them just the same.

We cleaned up the kitchen, and Hannah's laundry is almost done, and we're sitting here on our laptops while poor Dad went to get gas in the van. Gas prices are supposed to go up, so right now $3.03 is a bargain (?). Eek.

It looks like we'll be babysitting for h2o on Sunday night while Abby is at IMPACT--Lindsay called today to ask, since a friend from the community is coming for the first time, and she really wanted to be there to sit with them, etc. Hopefully, Andrew and Kara can handle it if we give them a heads-up. They've done a great job so far, and I don't really think they need us much. So, we can see the kiddos of Kent again--it's been a long time!

It was kind of weird to go to Kent to pick up Hannah and not as least see Katie. We were talking as we were drying the dishes about all the "states of normal" we have in our family. When everyone's home, that seems really normal. But then we got adjusted to a new normal when Katie went to college, so now with four of us home, it also seems normal. But then, when both H and K are away, it seems normal with three of us. I guess it's good that we can adjust to whatever circumstance we are in. My favorite normal though is always when all five of us are home! :) What can I say? I love my family!! Each and every one!

I have immensely enjoyed Katie's blog posts. But I have lots of questions to ask her too--hopefully we can video skype sometime so we can ask all of our questions. Like, do people really all wear black/dark colors? What is her house like? Which shoes does she wear the most? Has she had time to check out the campus Bible study group? What did she wear when she dressed so cute today? We want pictures too! But I know she will get to that when she can--and I'm just so happy that she's feeling better and can enjoy the theater (play or movie? Abby and I thought play, Hannah, movie--and then she found a trailer for the movie, so we guess she's right.) and the other exciting traveling she'll be doing Saturday. We love you, Kaite!

Tomorrow is Working on the Budget Day! Yay! I really like re-doing it to make sure we're adjusting for changes in our income. Since we have new insurance, etc. we have to see how things change and then make it all work out. It gives me such peace of mind when I pay bills to know that everything is accounted for, we're saving what we can, we've anticipated what "other than monthly" bills we have coming in, and we're ready for them! True Financial Peace. Thanks, Dave Ramsey. I needed it to be laid out for me just like that.

Abby is going to the leadership meeting tomorrow morning at Brandon's house, and then we're all going to see Randy, Mary Jo, Kata, and to meet...Troy! That will be fun--wish you could come too, Katie! Sunday will be busy with church, youth group, and h2o, but Monday we need to crank out some serious school since we don't have to go to school. I have LOTS to do. But that's for then, and tonight since Dad just got home, we are going to watch Benny and Joon, since Abby hasn't seen it yet. It's Friiiii-day!

Until the next time, dear reader!

No comments: