Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Another snowy day

I had more time today than expected because of the snow again. It started out as a nice winter day, and I went for a walk after lunch. Around 1pm it started to snow which was expected, but by 2pm it was snowing HARD. Thankfully, Jeff called and said he didn't think I should go to UV--we had talked about it before, and he knew I didn't want to get stuck up there (or anywhere else for that matter) in the snow. It was a pretty snow when we were inside and didn't have to leave.

This morning I worked on my science lesson for tomorrow. Last night I actually got to read a book (Dave Ramsey's More Than Enough), and I headed to bed at 9pm again. Slept from around 9:30pm until 7:30am, and tonight at 7:20, I'm still feeling tired. Abby and I shoveled after dinner, so Dad could get into the driveway--there were a few inches of snow by 6pm.

I think I'm in "recovery" mode. I have gone past my usual limits for the past couple of months, and God has given me grace to do it, but now I must rest and recover. I'm thankful for having a schedule that allows it to a degree. And sometimes He sends snow to help my schedule clear out a little more.

Plus, since we were home, we got to Skype/chat with Katie and Hannah too. For a while all five of us were on together. Abby said, "I love when our family is all together!" Which made me laugh because H. is in Kent, KT in France, Jeff at work, and Abby and I are here at home. Not exactly all on the same piece of carpet, but still all in the same conversation, so I guess it works. I will take it whenever I can get it.

And of course, we were so sad to hear that Katie was sick today. Poor dear...it's hard enough to be sick when you're at home, but so far away and in a new place.... I am thankful for Isabelle. She has been kind and attentive and helpful and caring to Katie, and that makes me feel so much better. I know someone is looking out for her and making sure she has everything she needs. She sounds like a wonderful mother, and I'm looking forward to the time when Katie can feel like her normal self and fully enjoy their family life. They haven't gotten to see the "real Katie" either because of jet-lag, tiredness, illness, etc. Plus, the language being more of a challenge too. But I'm praying that next week will be better. It sounds like the professors are very concerned too. I don't know about others' experiences, but so far Katie has received much kindness from French people, and I am grateful! No rudeness or superiority that I've heard about! (Maybe she just hasn't met them yet.)

I was telling Jeff at dinner that it's weird to find out that Katie was sick after it was mostly over. The six hour time difference means when I wake up, half of her day is over. That's why I am learning to just pray for her and trust her to get the help she needs, and trust others to be there to give it to her. And I'm thankful to know about it today at least and not weeks after the fact because I had to wait for a letter to arrive! Technology ain't all bad.

So, Jeff just left to take Abby to dance since it wasn't canceled, and I have some time to do whatever I want. Blogging was first on the list, and then, I'm not sure. It's so rare to have free time, that I don't know what to do....but don't worry, I'll think of something! I'm guessing that an early bedtime is in my future again tonight.

I guess that's all for now, dear reader.

No comments: