Thursday, January 27, 2011

ThirstDay--(Dad's Idea)(The title, that is)

Today I worked on school stuff. Marking Abby's books for next week, preparing for Language Arts, American History, and I made a reading list for history books. Abby found this great alphabetizing thing so I could just type all the titles in and not have to do the alphebetizing myself. It was a long list and would have taken a long time. Yay, Abby! She also helped me with several other things.

I was expecting April to come and pick out earrings, but she didn't show up, and I was wanting to go for a walk, so I called her. She was at the hospital because her mom had been admitted. She felt bad, but of course I understood! I'm going to take the earrings to school on Monday so she can just pick them out then.

I did take a walk--nice and cold and refreshing, but not so bad that it was distracting from thinking. And I talked to Mom on the phone for almost an hour. Good to catch up with her!

I finished Debt-Free U--I think it should be required reading for all of us. OK, maybe not, but it was a good book and had some great info, and it was entertaining too. Then I started 48 Days to the Work You Love by Dan Miller. Dave Ramsey is always giving people that book, so Abby put it on hold for me at the library. I think--hope--it will be helpful for me in figuring out what kind of job I should be looking for. It addresses the issue I've been thinking about. Namely, that I have had a career of raising my family/homeschooling, etc. that has been deeply meaningful and satisfying, and I can't imagine now just going out and working at a job for the next many years--especially one that I don't find nearly as fulfilling. He talks about a "calling" instead of a job. That's what I need to find--my next calling!

Another interesting thing is that in the beginning of the book, he talks about growing up on a dairy farm in rural Ohio with a dad who was a farmer/Mennonite pastor in their "one caution light town." That could be Berlin! Of course, there are many Millers, many Mennonite churches, and many little towns that only have a caution light, but I wonder....After a brief search, we haven't been able to tell. And he's considerably older than me--he and his wife have been married 42 years. He's a Christian so that helps with meshing work with a spiritual calling too. I've only just started reading, so I'm sure there will be more to come on that!

Tonight I worked on SAT prep while Jeff and Abby went over some ACT stuff. A little frustrating because some of the answers were a little goofy. And it's hard to do stuff like that at night. So more on Saturday morning, I guess. And we watched AI--it's surprisingly entertaining even without Simon. Randy is the "mean" judge now--maybe the only one at times, but Jennifer Lopez can say no which is good. Steven Tyler is surprisingly nice and kind. Crazy, but often very sweet to people. There have been some touching stories of contestants too.

Tomorrow I get my hair cut!!! I'm excited, and praying that I won't be disappointed. At least I know the color will be done, and I won't have to cover up my roots anymore. That adds extra time in the morning! So, we'll see. Denise does a good job most of the time--especially with pictures. And I haven't seen her for a while, so it's always nice to chat.

Then we have small group here tomorrow night, so I'll be making rigatoni for that. I think that's all I have to make. We have so many families that we each only have to bring one thing. It will be good to see everyone again.

I was thinking on my walk how I'm starting to feel more like myself again after the exhausting fall/holidays. Even a little thing like having a "free" day on Saturday does wonders for boosting my mood. Just knowing that every minute isn't scheduled helps me work hard when the minutes are scheduled because I know a break is coming. When it never ends, it's hard to know when to let up because you can't keep going at 100% all of the time. And then it feels like you're not doing something well enough when you do let up a little. Margins. Love margins. Love the Karen girls too, but NEED margins right now!

Well, Jeff has a meeting at 7am tomorrow, so we should probably go to bed. I need to clean too before and after my hair cut. Oh, for dinner tonight, I "recycled" the chili and rice we had on Saturday and reheated them, stir fried some peppers and onions, and we made burritos, or a big bowl with rice, chili, cheese, lettuce, chips, sour cream, taco sauce. Yummy! We ate leftover quiche for lunch. The consensus was that we should have it again soon! And Jeff thought that if I was making pie crust for that, that I could make another one and have pb pie or something for dessert! Hmm...I LIKE the way he thinks!

Sounds like Katie is being a good "big sister" to Claire and having fun with friends too. Glad to hear it! I thought of another question--oh yeah, how is the water in France? Does it taste good? Meme wondered if you got water with meals-of course, how could Katie live without her water?! But I just wondered how it tasted! Being the water connoisseur that you are--you may not know alcohol, but water, YES!

OK, now I really should go to bed. I've been sleeping till 8am on days when I don't have to go to school. Lovely! But I'm still tired by 10pm. Probably from walking again in the fresh air. My pulled muscles are finally feeling better too--consistently. That's a relief! Until tomorrow, dear reader!

1 comment:

Kaite said...

Water tastes fine from the tap (although a couple people have said their host families have Brita pitchers) --like, I'd say better than Kent but not as good as home. And I SHOULD buy water but I just bring my water bottle and it's surprisingly available free-at the Sandwicherie there's a sink with cups and little pitchers and at the cafeteria it's the same thing. :) I'm glad you feel more like yourself! Me too, only plus some now. :)