Sunday, March 06, 2011

The weekend in review

I forgot to blog on Friday--just forgot. Maybe I knew that Katie and Hannah were both busy all weekend, so I didn't feel the need to fill them in on life. Or maybe I was lulled into a stupor by reading and lying on the couch all afternoon to rest my back. Or maybe I just forgot. Or all three.



I did clean on Friday morning--slowly but surely, and Abby helped with wrastling the vacuum cleaner downstairs. I could manage the one upstairs, but not the "dead pig" version. Then after lunch, I made myself a little nest on the couch with my heating pad and my dog and book and that's where I stayed. Jeff and I did go to Mariachi Loco's for dinner after Abby went to a youth group event at GVUMC with Kayla. We just ate and came home since my back wasn't up for shopping and it was cold and rainy. What weather we've had!

Then we watched "He's Just Not That Into You" which was OK, but not something I'd watch again or recommend as a great movie. Kinda sad really. The dating world. Yucky.

Saturday I made "rice and soup" and we went to the bread store and Marc's before picking up the Karen girls. My back still hurt, but I didn't really have the option to sit around on Saturday, so I just kept going. I also made a cake for BeBin's birthday which is Tuesday. They were only here from about 1pm to 3:45pm since we had small group at 5pm. They were really good about playing together. Ti Ti Dah came with us for the first time. She is a really sweet girl and friends with the younger girls. The older girls have kind of fizzled out. I talked to MaRian on Tuesday and invited her, but she didn't come. But we still had 6 girls, and I helped Ehne Thau with her science book for the Ohio Achievement Test, and Ehler with her prep for the OGT. Abby had taken a practice SAT in the morning, so I was just about done with three-letter tests to study for!!

We had a little drama about child care for the small group study, since Jeff had sent a fb message that Abby would be the only one babysitting, so if anyone could get a sitter, that would help. Then in calling around he found out that one couple was actually babysitting for other people's kids and planning to bring them too, but not to tell us before. Yikes! We have 12 adults, and Abby plus 10 kids! We can't really just add two more very easily. So the Bloughs very graciously got a sitter for the boys, we kept 5 babies up here with us--yes, someone (at LEAST someONE) was crying most of the time--and Abby watched the other 4 downstairs which went well. Whew!! The little baby boy being babysat was very unhappy all evening, so he cried a LOT! Oh my! What a crowd--but somehow we managed to have a fairly meaningful discussion even if it was interrupted a lot.

Everyone was gone by 9pm since we started at 5pm and had dinner, and then all the kids needed to go to bed. So I cleaned up, and for having a total of 27 people over throughout the day yesterday, the house looked great! I ran the dishwasher twice, and that was the most messy things got. Impressive.

But I was tired and sore after being on my feet all day, so I was glad to crawl into bed. AFTER making the power point for announcements of course. I know how to do that now, you know! :)

Today Jeff and Abby did music--Abby played piano and did a great job on the "We Fall Down" thang--can't think of what it's called when you start at the top of the keyboard and go down all the way. Jeremiah helped and Isaiah and the Norths. It was a great music set! I sat through it twice because we didn't have SS because the Reynolds' sump pump failed and they had some water in their basement to deal with yesterday. Nothing like Jamie and Ruthie's though, thankfully! I thought about offering to help in the nursery, but decided against it, because I knew I'd be tempted to pick up a child when I shouldn't and mess up my back more.

After church, Eric gave me some info about IVs China summer program, and some other info about other options IV does. I told him when Katie gets home, and Hannah is home for a weekend, that we need to have him over so you all can meet him and talk about stuff--you'd really like him. He leaves for Taiwan May 15, so we need to do it before then.

We came home and ate lunch. Nothing sounded good to me. I'm tired of food--just want to eat fruit and veggies for a while. Detox from all the weekend food! So I made a little sandwich with the pita bread left from last night and some peppers and onions. Worked on the grocery list, and after Jeff took Abby to GVUMC again, we went for a slow, cold walk around the neighborhood. I felt like I needed to walk a little. Didn't do the cul de sacs--just the inner loop. My hamstrings are really tight now, and my gluteus maximus feels a little like it did in December. I really don't want to go back there... So you can pray!

Jeff picked Abby up and they went to youth group at our church--Jeff may have headed to Kent then, I don't know. He talked about it. I ate some egg salad I made tonight, cleaned up the kitchen, packed our lunches for tomorrow, got my stuff together for BOW. And now I'm blogging. Read Katie's blog--epic! Lovely! Wonderful stuff! South of France and all and sun!

Also read Hannah's blog this afternoon, and I am SO EXCITED about her living situation for next year!! WOO HOO! How fun will that be? I think it's so cool that God rewarded her decision to do what she believed He wanted her to do (and she wanted to too, of course), and then all these other friends ended up on her floor too! It's an answer to prayer for me because I've been praying that Hannah would find those close friends that Katie has found and be able to experience that sense of community on a daily basis. I know she has in this past year to a degree, but next year will take it to a whole new level!! Awesome!

So, I think that adequately sums up the past few days. I have nothing as exciting as running around the south of France, or finding out about awesome roommate stuff, or going to women's weekend or three youth group events in two days, but life is still good! It is very lifey sometimes as Katie said--sore backs, rain and snow, work, etc. but it is good too.

And now I will prepare for another week by having a quiet time and soon I will have some chocolate cake too. I cannot live on fruit and veggies alone you know. :) Until later, dear readers!

3 comments:

H. Yackley said...

It's a glisando

So glad you got to lay around some, but I'm sad that it was a necessity.

I'm also happy to hear the babysitting situation got worked out, though that was a bit crazy!! sheesh...

Yeah, this past week I haven't wanted to go near the chicken fingers and pizza and whatever else... I've been keeping to more salads and sandwiches and stuff, which has been nice. But I agree, can't just live on fruit (though I don't have chocolate cake, I have M&Ms)

:-D I love this whole blogging way of communicating. It makes it easier to be in college/France/home

Melissa said...

Thank you for the musical terminology! I knew there was a word for it!

Are you hungry for anything in particular for when you come home this weekend?

I agree that blogging is a great way to keep in touch--write and read whenever you have time.

Kaite said...

1. glissando with two s's

2. Blogging is awesome because it's flexible like you said and it's something to look forward to

3. Even if home stories aren't the South of France they're still home and their own kind of exciting and they're grounded and all the work you do for everything is admirable! =D