Thursday, March 10, 2011

The frig lives!

Here's the update on Refrigerator Revival--indeed our prayers have been answered and there WAS one! Whew! Jeff spent many hours learning about refrigerators and figuring out what was wrong, what needed to be done, and then this morning when the stores were open, he went and got the part. And he FIXED it! He just never ceases to amaze me with his ability to problem-solve and figure things out. What a guy! I'm so thankful that for $79 (one tenth the cost of a new refrigerator), he got it running again. It was a fan that stopped working that blows the cold air from the freezer into the refrigerator. That's why it was cold in the freezer, but not cold enough in the refrigerator part.

Our food that was on ice in coolers stayed cold enough, and so we didn't have to throw anything away. Well, we DID throw a LOT of food away. Yes, there was some old stuff buried in the freezer upstairs. It was the bottom foundational layer that kept everything on top from sliding off and out the door, you know. :) I'd really like to keep it like it is right now. All clean and shiny with empty spaces between things. But when we cleaned out the basement freezer a few months ago, I said the same thing. When I went down there to look for some Cool Whip, it was filled to the brim again. Oh my. As Ehne Thau says, "Why do you have so much food?" Maybe I'm better at BUYING the food than COOKING it? Hmm...I think I'm still in 5 people to feed mode instead of three, and even the three of us only eat all together Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday really. So, I will have to use what we have and rethink my purchasing choices. And then summer will come and there will be 5 of us to feed again! Which will greatly help to clean out our stockpile! :)

So, Jeff was home all day even though he finished the frig repair in the early afternoon. He worked from home in the afternoon and still is this evening. A bonus of having a broken frig--getting to have my hubby home! Sorry he has to make up the time, but really thankful he can take the time when needed to solve a crisis.

And he got his bonus deposited in our account--looks like we get to have a "Budget Committee Meeting" on Saturday! I have a feeling I'm thinking "Baby step=college fund" and he's thinking, "VACATION!" Nerd vs. Free Spirit. We have a great "checks and balances" built into our system here at the Yackley house. So glad we can discuss it and come to an agreement--I'm sure there will be a little of each!

Got to SEE Katie today! Well, skype see. That was nice--I miss that girl! I'm trying not to wish this semester away, but I will be glad when she's home, and Hannah's home, and we get to see each other and be all together for a little while. And maybe we'll have some nice weather by then. That would be great too!

Another totally rainy day with the forecast of a winter storm watch tonight into tomorrow which may bring us a lovely 4-8 inches of snow according to Dick Goddard's best guess. Ugh. This was weird. Today I was sitting on the couch in the living room reading/having my quiet time, and I looked across the street and saw our neighbor's door that still has a snowman on it. I said to Jeff (Abby was gone babysitting), "They need to take that snowman off their door! This is why we are still having so much snow! It's all their fault!"

So, later, after Abby got home from babysitting, out of the blue she says, "Our neighbors need to take that snowman off their door! It's all their fault that it's still snowing!" Jeff got this look on his face and said, "You guys are so weird!" Good to know that Abby isn't ALL like Jeff! Sometimes she thinks like me. But on the very same day within hours of each other? Weird, indeed!

So, I really hope it doesn't snow too much because Abby is supposed to go to UV tomorrow to talk to Mr. Jeff about the internship idea, and then of course, I REALLY want to be able to go and get Hannah ASAP. So, I guess we will wait and see. Maybe it's all hype and it won't really happen.

I made a chocolate pie since I was making quiche for dinner and making pie crust. And I tried using regular milk (again trying to use up the older milk--it's like the gallon that won't end), so we'll see if it's weird or not. It looks a little different, but I've always wondered if evaporated milk was really necessary in case I got in a pinch. So, it's an experiment. I'm guessing that chocolate chips, sugar, milk, butter won't taste TOO bad!

Just watching AI results show--a video of the finalists in the mansion. We must be old because all we could think about was them jumping on the bed, dragging their suitcases up the hardwood floors, playing football in the living room, and hoping the owners have enough money to fix it up after they leave! :) We're such parents!

Today all I did really was finish preparing for Language Arts and SAT class, read a little in between loads of laundry, and put food back in the frig and freezer, and made dinner. Kinda lazy. But kinda nice too. I did finish "What Should I Do With My Life?" though, and it was a really good view into SO many peoples' lives and realize that many of the decisions we agonize over because we think they are so permanent, may not be. We do the best we can to follow what God directs us to do, but sometimes He may direct us one way, which leads to another way in a different direction, and so on. I'm very thankful to have God though. Reading about all of those people who were mostly NOT focused on God, I can't imagine going through life like that. So thankful for a relationship with Jesus!

OK, I guess that's the day in a very large nutshell! Macadamia! :) So, until later, dear readers!

1 comment:

Kaite said...

" "Baby step=college fund" and he's thinking, "VACATION!" Nerd vs. Free Spirit. We have a great "checks and balances" built into our system here at the Yackley house." THAT'S SO FUNNNNNNYYYYYYYY!!!!

and so are you and Abby! I was just thinking today with our discussion of tidiness at the dinner table of our Mom-Hannah/Katie-Abby-Dad grouping, but that doesn't really hold true all the time!