Wednesday, March 09, 2011

We knew it couldn't last...

Two sunny days in a row are all Ohio can manage at this time of year. Today it rained, and rained, and rained some more. Abby said it finally stopped now that it's 7:35pm. But it was officially gross earlier when we were going to school, the library, the bank, GE. The wind blew the rain right into our faces. We were pretty wet getting the groceries into the car.

But now we've been home and dealing with appliance drama #3! Yes, we've made it through the Oven Ordeal, the Furnace Fiasco, and now...the Refrigerator Revival--at least I hope that's how it turns out (and not the Refrigerator Replacement). I'm prayin' for a revival! Can I get an Amen?!

I knew something wasn't quite right earlier this week when I went to get ice, and it was all stuck together. We had used a lot of ice Saturday when we had the Karen girls over and then small group. So it had refilled on Sunday, but on Monday it was all stuck. Like it had melted slightly and re-frozen. I dumped it out thinking maybe the door hadn't been sealed right or something. But yesterday, the new ice was kind of stuck too, and there wasn't very much of it.

Then today when I was getting breakfast and stuff, I could tell it wasn't as cold as it should be. My OJ in the door was bad, and the "frozen" concentrate in the freezer wasn't--frozen. So I called Dad and let him know and he came home early from work to see if he can figure out what's wrong. He tried sweeping off the coils, but that didn't really help.

Eventually, he and Abby went to Target to get a refrigerator/freezer thermometer (Mrs. Jones's idea) to see if it was really too warm. Yeah, 50 degrees in the frig is too warm. On the upside, he found the receipt from when we bought it. Good news and bad news. Good news: It had a 5 year warranty. Bad news: We bought it almost 6 years ago. Good news: We bought an extended 10 year warranty. Bad news: We aren't sure what that covers exactly.

When Jeff came home from dropping Abby off at her Bible study, he got a large bag of ice, and we put stuff in coolers with ice in the garage. The dairy products especially. The fruit and veggies will be OK. Of course, it's in the 40s today, but maybe it will be cold enough overnight to keep everything safe to eat. We do NOT want to have to add the "Food Poisoning Frenzy" to our list of dramatic events.

So, now Abby is home, and Jeff is taking everything out of the upstairs freezer so that he can get to the back inside to see if something is working or not. He's found some unidentifiable items, some meat that had a "92" written on it--to which he said, "I hope this is the 'percent lean' number and not the year." Yes, thankfully it was the percent lean number. I did NOT move meat from our last house and still have it in the freezer! 19 year old meat! Yikes!

I've been trying not to be anxious after Mike's Very Encouraging Message on Sunday about Matthew 6--Do not be anxious about what you will eat or what you will drink. If you haven't heard it, you should listen to it. It was the most helpful way of thinking about that passage that I have heard. Very applicable to now since what we eat and drink is in our frig. And very much like me to be anxious about when something doesn't work. I don't know why it bothers me so...is it the concern that it will cost money to fix/replace it? Is it the concern that the food will spoil? Is it the upheaval that it causes in our lives as we figure out what to do? Is it the not knowing what to do? I think a little of all of those things.

I don't remember anything breaking at our house when I was growing up, so I don't feel like I know what to do when it happens. Of course, Jeff always is willing to try to fix it, and so far he has been amazingly successful. All I would know to do is to call someone who might know, or call a repairman--and pay the big bucks. So I am very thankful for him!

And I have been trying to remember that God loves us and CARES about our refrigerator problems too. He knows that we need all these things. And He is able to provide for us. But I can't take on tomorrow's troubles too. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

So, I'll let you know what happens...

I'm going to make some pudding with some of the old milk that needs to be used up. You know, if life hands you warm milk, make pudding! That's what I always say! :)

So, other than all of that, I taught my science class, and my back was hurting during it, and then I had to still go do those other errands. The grocery shopping was tiring though. So glad that Abby helped with all of that and all of the unloading afterward. We were "haulin'" stuff. We have a "haul-a-thon" on Wednesdays. "Let's haul, y'all!" And Jeff was here too to help bring stuff in from the car. Whew!

Also, thankfully, Abby helped by washing the dinner prep dishes. My back was shot by that time, so I could go and lie down a little which really helped.

We ate dinner--just Jeff and me--I made some broccoli, potato, carrot soup with cheese and a milk base--again, using up the milk. I also made salad and banana cc muffins and strawberries too. Now I best be making puddin'.

But, I have to say, that I was very sad to hear that Katie is sick once again. French germs must be potent--like the cheese there. I really hope she can feel 100% again soon. It's nice to have a day off when you really need it, but I know it gets old after a while. Like my back--a couple of days on the couch was kind of restful, but I'm ready to be over it! So, I'll be praying for my Katie-Kaite!

Until later, dear readers!

1 comment:

Kaite said...

if life hands you warm milk, make pudding! That's what I always say! :) BAHAHAHA.

" Each day has enough trouble of its own." was literally JUST thinking about that...but some days have more troubles than others!

definitely listening to Pastor Mike's sermon :)