Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Trials. WHAAAAAT?!

Why, oh, why did I have to go and write about trials?! :) Kind of :), but kind of not.

Well, let's see, today was fine--sunny and cold and I worked on school stuff all morning until I had to go to UV with Abby. UV went fine too, and I went to Marc's during Abby's ballet class. Got some fruit and veggies. Took Abby to dance and came home. Unloaded groceries and thought it felt cold in here after getting everything in.

Sure enough, the thermostat was set at 68 degrees, and the temperature was under 65. The furnace wasn't working! Yikes! Especially on a night when the temperature will be in the single digits. And Jeff wasn't home yet (7:30pm), but I called him, and he was only at GE getting gas. So he was home in a few minutes. He looked at it and did the usual sandpapering of the part that needs it every so often. I only got really worried when he said, "Better start up the space heater."

Um, yeah, I just don't think that would keep us warm tonight somehow...but he kept looking at the furnace and found the part that is broken. It's now 8:50pm and he went to Home Depot to get it, so hopefully it will be easy to put in and it will work! And of course, Abby needs to be picked up at dance at 9:30pm. That man is like Superman! He walked in the door and hasn't stopped since.

I was thinking about what I would do if I were a single mom--just because I was reading about single moms who homeschool and how hard it is for them. Things like this would cost so much if you had to call a furnace guy after hours, or the other options aren't appealing either--freeze or leave. Makes me VERY, EXTREMELY thankful for such an awesome husband who will try to figure things out and almost always does! And makes me more mindful of trying to support and help single moms--homeschooling or not. It's a hard thing.

So, I will hopefully be able to report soon that the furnace is running and warming us back up, but for now...many blankets and my coat and the space heater.

Ah, yes, trials...though I have to say that as I was looking in the yellow pages for "furnace" parts suppliers, I noticed that right before that was "funeral homes" and it reminded me to be thankful that our problems are really quite small in comparison to what many have to deal with. It made me thankful to be looking at the "furnace" entries!

I liked Katie's comments on my last post--so cool to see how "thinkings" of people can connect and coincide and be more meaningful together. I need to re-read Little Women--I liked her comparison of my seeing that my girls are growing and becoming even more beautiful for the things that they are learning and going through to when the girls' father came home and saw those things in his girls. Some of it is hard, some is happy and fun, and some is just new and different. But knowing it's all from God is what makes it the best!

Well, I think I'll go and get Abby so that Jeff can keep working on the furnace. So, that's all for now. Maybe more later, or definitely tomorrow. Until then, dear reader.

2 comments:

yack said...

Superman succeeded. It took a few tries, but it got done for $50 (the price of the part). Sometimes I DO believe I can do anything!

H. Yackley said...

Congratulations, dad! :-D Superman to the rescue!