Monday, February 21, 2011

All I have to say is, AGAIN? REALLY?

More snow? Really. And not just a little. INCHES and INCHES! What is the deal? Did the earth feel naked after being uncovered for a couple of days? We so enjoyed seeing the ground--the brown dirt and kind of green grass. Now everything--and I do mean everything--is white again. It would be pretty if I weren't so tired of it.

I did make the mistake of complaining about a lack of a Sabbath yesterday because we had so many things to do, so Sunday wasn't very restful--maybe God is giving me the afternoon/evening--maybe tomorrow too--off again. For that part, I am thankful. Jeff and Abby didn't have to leave for Abby's Mandatory dance class. Mandatory because they are supposed to dance at the Falls bball game tomorrow night. But if Amy doesn't want to let Abby dance, oh well. Not worth risking life and limb, as they say. Abby just said that Amy is still having jazz--crazy!

Abby and Jeff came in from shoveling and said they just gave up. It was covered before they finished! I haven't seen a snow plow out yet either--it's too bad--even the snowplows are staying in! :)

Well, let's see, we had a lovely, but short weekend with Hannah--it always goes too fast. But she and I got to go to Target for coffee which was a highlight! We also got to skype with Katie on Sunday afternoon--all together--which was great too. But I have to admit, that it made me wish for summer to come faster. I can't help it! I just love to have my whole family all together! What can I say? So, I miss my college girls, but I can be patient for spring/summer.

We left around 4/4:15pm and took Abby to the Hares for a ride, went to pick up EDD so that she could go with us to Kent so I could help her with her essays for some kind of scholarship/college programs, then we went to Kent and dropped Hannah's stuff off in her dorm. We ate at the Hub--Hannah treated us! EDD had said she had eaten at home, but she just wanted some FF. Then when we were there, she asked if they had shrimp--sure enough, so she got a shrimp dinner at Arthur Treachers and ate everything except the hush puppies and cole slaw. I think she even ate the tails--I was going to say something, but then I remembered that they eat things that we throw away!

We then dropped H off at Bowman and went to babysit at the Franks. I expected to have only Brooklynn and maybe Mason, but the Slack kids came too, and Eva left Micah, but no Mason. So we ended up having more kids than expected and EDD and I really had to work on her stuff. There were applications for two things to fill out, and I had to read through a lot of it to explain it to her. And THEN we had to write!

In the meantime, Jeff was playing the Pied Piper and watching all of the kids--Brooklynn, Madalyn, Carter, and Micah. He just handled them all all evening so that we could work. It was amazing! HE was amazing! EDD kept saying, "I didn't know Mr. Jeff was so good at babysitting!" She mentioned it many times. I told her that he is a good dad, and he had a lot of practice when our girls were little. So, thanks, Honey!!

We dropped her off and picked up Abby at the Hares--sounds like they had a good time at IMPACT. So we got home about 5 hours after we left. Whew! Then I had to look over my stuff for Monday, pack it up, and get to bed! It was messy driving home last night because of freezing rain/snow too, but not like today!

When we went to school today, it was fine thankfully. One of the moms sat in my classes with her younger son who may be coming to BOW next year. It was good to get some feedback about what she and her son (in my class) didn't understand from the homework, so we went over it at the beginning of class. But I hope she saw that we really do go over things a lot, but her son doesn't always catch things. I think maybe she'll be more likely to just email me if she has questions now. I hope so.

I felt a little better when Karen came to my door right before the first classes started and said, "Don't you love to teach a class that no one wants to take?" I told her how I felt last week like my words were just sliding down over the kids without them even absorbing things. She said, "Yeah, it's like they're covered in Teflon!" She was talking about Chemistry--I guess we don't have a lot of science-lovers!

I got all of my grading done before lunch which was awesome. We had a good lunch made by the cooking class--some kind of stew-like thing with black beans, kale, spinach, potatoes, corn, carrots, spaghetti sauce. And April made more fry-bread--some very unhealthy Native American bread that is literally fried in oil. Tastes more like a little donut.

For SAT, we started math and did some online practice. This was when the snow was really coming down. Our drive home went OK, but I did slide some once when I had to brake at a light. Thankfully, I had much room between me and the car in front of me and it was OK. I just went very slowly down Moore Rd. so that I didn't have to brake a lot to get into our neighborhood. And, thankfully, Jeff had left early and got home soon after we did.

We listened to DR and rested until I made dinner at 5pm--smoked sausage, potato pancakes, broc, salad, and oranges. It was cleaned up at 6:15, so a pretty quick meal!

So, now I guess we get to watch Chuck all together! Yay! And it's only 7:10pm now, so I might be able to read a little before that. Still working on The Element.

So, that's the update here. Until later, dear readers!

1 comment:

H. Yackley said...

I had fun at Starbucks too :-) And that weekend was WAY too short.

It's so crazy out there! Evening classes are cancelled for some commuter campuses...

Yay for superman dad! He's awesome.

I listened to the last 15 min of DR today while I did Chinese. I laughed when he talked about how many absolutes he used. NEVER do ___ ALWAYS say no to ____(bank of America haha).

I might actually watch a Chuck too (older one of course) if band practice is cancelled... which it might be...

I doubt classes will be cancelled tomorrow, but I sure hope so!! haha!