Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Grounghog Day, 2011

Groundhog Day--didn't see his shadow--early spring--yeah, right!

Today, spring seems very far away when we're trapped in the world of snow and ice. However, it has allowed us to have more time off--wow, God must really want me to KEEP resting. I have had a good couple of days off and have gotten things ready for school next week. Good thing because Angie called tonight asking if we could watch the kids tomorrow while she takes Hailey to an appointment. She had another plan and a back-up plan, but they fell through. I was hoping to go to Goodwill for the 35% off day, but helping Angie is more important. Really I was just hoping to get out of the house since it's supposed to be better weather tomorrow, and I haven't left the house for two days!

So, let's see--obviously, not much has happened since yesterday except a lot of ice and some snow. I am very, extremely thankful that we never lost power or had any trees/branches fall. It sounds like farther south they had a lot more of that. So, I'll take kind of boring!

I worked a little on coming up with what I would put on a resume today. I've decided that it would be good to have one ready, and that the process of putting it together is a good exercise in thinking through what "transferable skills" I have. I'm becoming more confident that I really do have skills that I can use to do a job that I will actually enjoy doing! It will have to be an interesting one though--not able to just walk in and get something because of my degree/experience in a field. But I'm sure that God has something in mind, and He'll tell me when it's time. All of the thinking about it has been good though--even just to be able to go into an interview and not feel like I'm unworthy of a job, have done nothing that people will understand or value, etc. I really have done valuable things--and not just to me personally--but I have gained skills in doing what has been important to me that I can use in new ways. And Dan Miller does remind me that 85% of success is from personal qualities that I have been trained in by my job in the last 22 years! Ya'll need to read this book! Maybe we need to buy it!

Also, later in the book he mentions driving through Holmes County, OH--oh yeah! Why would he be there unless he grew up there? Huh? Probably a distant relative of mine! :)

Oh, save me! American Idol is over, and now Jeff and Abby are watching "Minute to Win It"--a game show--I don't know why I dislike them so much. Maybe it's the "get rich quick" mentality, or the overly excited fakeness, or just the mindlessness of it all. I think I'll go back to reading afterward. Of course, they are talking about using the ideas for youth group games--somehow that makes it OK? :)

Well, I guess that is about all I have for tonight. I could ramble on, but that is all it would be.
Tomorrow is babysitting, laundry, Bible study tomorrow night. So, until later, dear readers!

1 comment: