Tuesday, February 15, 2011

There were some frustrations today...but it was good overall.

So, I had called Mary about the Celtic Ball info yesterday afternoon, and she hadn't returned my call this morning when I was getting ready. I was feeling a little left out of the group, and I was telling Jeff how odd it was that she was telling everyone else at BOW about it, and Abby was standing there, and she didn't even mention anything to her. And I was wondering to what lengths I should go to find out what to do to register--if there was even room left. And why we didn't get invited in the first place--were we "blacklisted" from the Ball? What did we do? Our girls' dress straps were two inches!! :)

It was a total high school "out of the clique" feeling, and I decided it was very emotionally immature to let it bother me, and I should just try my best to find out for Abby and not take it personally, and just see what happened. Then Mary called and apologized for not telling us about it yesterday, because Karen had said that Carrie would hang out with Abby, so Mary thought Abby was already signed up and didn't need the info.

She explained how strange the whole ball thing is this year and how hard it was to find out the information--had to call the church, who wouldn't give her the woman's phone number, but had the woman call Mary back. Then, she wouldn't email Mary the info, and was hesitant about too many people coming. There was no contact info on the invitation--just the address to send in the registration. "Very stealth" as Mary put it. But apparently there is still room for more people.

When I called the church today to go through the whole thing again, the woman 1 there said they were talking about whether or not they were still having it since there weren't enough people signed up. Ya think? If you don't invite them, they will not come!

Long story, but woman 2 called me back (woman 1 only knew her phone number, even though she wasn't doing the registrations), and gave me woman 3's number. I was waiting to find out it Hannah wanted to go, and so now I will call her tomorrow and hopefully get Abby signed up if there is still room. She picked out a dress from the closet that Katie wore that is burgundy and very comfy, so that is all taken care of! Now we just need to figure out what to do about babysitting for small group on Saturday night if she's not here. Wouldn't have planned that if we'd have known. Oh well....

And Dad called about Abby's last two driving lessons, and he called us back tonight, so she's doing one of them on Thursday morning.

Then I started working on school stuff this morning, and I thought grading my kids' science tests would be easy since it was an open book test. WRONG! Because many of them got many questions WRONG! Worse grades than on closed book tests. It was physics problems, which I know are harder for some, but they could use their BOOKS! Oh my. It made me feel more justified in "scolding" them last week for not listening. I have a very long speech prepared for tomorrow's class about what they need to do to improve, what's expected from a high school level science class--like reading the chapter and studying on their own and paying attention to details. Since some of them aren't in high school, I plan to tell them not to be upset by lower grades since this is harder stuff--but they DO need to put in some hard work.

That meant I barely got prepared for tomorrow's class before I had to leave for UV, so I didn't get to walk in the beautiful sunshine which was a bummer. But it's supposed to be even warmer later this week, so maybe I'll make up for it and walk twice one day!

UV went fine, and I took Abby to Woodridge for dancing at the halftime show. Woodridge is so much like the hs I went to--same kind of gym, smells of popcorn, small school, but everyone is at the game--parking lot was full--I had to park on the side of a driveway-thing.

We got home around 8pm, watched Chuck again with Jeff and Abby, and read some of our EHS book for this week. Good stuff. Talked about "differentiation" which hs girls mostly do NOT have--"They need continual affirmation and validation from others because they don't have a clear sense of who they are. They depend on what other people think and feel in order to have a sense of their own worth and identity." Abby found that out with all the angst about dancing one song in front of a few people. Not her angst, but other's.

So, I need to go to bed and be rested for another day tomorrow. I missed talking to Hannah today because when I was free, she was in class, having dinner, or doing a study group. And when she was free, I was at the basketball game watching Abby dance. We'll try again tomorrow! So until later, dear readers!

No comments: