Monday, February 07, 2011

A few thoughts on trials

We're watching Chuck right now, so I'm writing during commercials. I'm not getting much done though!

Let's see, we had school today and all went well. I took my earrings for April and she bought three pairs--two for gifts and one for herself. That was nice. Just came home afterward, Abby didn't have to babysit, and I went for a walk. I shoveled after my walk and came in with soaking wet hair. The snow was really wet, and it was kind of warm out too. I was able to scrape a top layer of slush off the driveway--don't worry, Kate. It should be clear by the time you get home in April! :)

I made Planet Burgers for dinner--veggie burgers--and sweet potatoes for dinner. Healthful and yummy! In celebration of Abby's one year anniversary of blogging every single day! Woo Hoo, Abby! Good job!

Abby read Katie's blog to me while I made dinner. Nice and long and descriptive and wonderful! Sounds like a fabulous weekend! I was sad to hear about the disappearing wallet though. That is such a bummer--just annoying not to be able to find it, and to have to go through everything to get new cards, and not having money. But, I have had things like that happen before, and I know the sinking feeling when it happens. Glad Jeff could help her with all of the details of getting new cards. I wouldn't have been much help with that, I'm afraid!

I was encouraged by Katie's attitude though of realizing that everyone makes mistakes--and in this case, it's not like she did anything wrong on purpose. During my quiet time after dinner, I was reading 2 Cor. 2 and Paul says that he doesn't want this person he's speaking of (who apparently did something wrong--and it sounds like on purpose, not an accidental thing--and needed to be forgiven) to be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. I would never want Katie to be overwhelmed by feeling bad about something like this. When we sin, sometimes we do need to be truly sorrowful and repent--but even then, not to be overwhelmed and excessive about it. And especially when it's not sin, but we are human and make mistakes or just have trials that God allows in our lives, we need to not allow it to overwhelm us and ruin the good life that we have. Must keep it all in perspective, deal with it, accept grace, and move on.

I also thought it was a good reminder that we need to do this "in order that no advantage be taken of us by Satan; for we are not ignorant of his schemes." Satan would like nothing better than for our trials to overwhelm us and take our eyes off of God and onto us and all of our weakness/frustration/etc. But we need to be aware of that, and not let him take advantage of us in that way.

Verse 14-16: But thanks be to God, who always leads us in His triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place. For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing....And who is adequate for these things?

God always leads us in triumph IN CHRIST! Not always in us, or our circumstances, but always in Christ. And as we walk in that triumph of knowing that our days are ordained by God, that He always loves us, then we are a fragrance to God and those around us--a sweet one at that! And thankfully even that doesn't depend on us, for truly, who IS adequate for these things? No one apart from Christ!

When I think of "trial by wallet" in Katie's life, I can see how Satan would try to discourage and distract her. She is walking faithfully with Jesus even in a different country with not as much support, and as she goes about her day, she is listening for when she should talk to people about Jesus--using many opportunities to do that in class, and even when she's on a sightseeing trip to Paris. She's making the effort to find fellowship, and I'm sure in each of these situations, she is a sweet aroma of God to those around her.

And I can see how this is an opportunity to respond right to trials in her life. As Abby and I were talking about it, I said that unfortunately, this too is part of being a full-fledged adult. Dealing with trials as they come up--and they are never convenient or easy. But thankfully, they are no more than we can manage, because even though God allows them and uses them, He always helps us and limits them too. So, welcome to adulthood, Kaite! It comes with the territory!

And I think she is doing an awesome job of responding right. Of course there is that initial "oh no!" but then she did what she needed to do to deal with it (a non-adult might have just hoped the wallet would turn up, and ended up with many more problems to deal with!). And she went to God for encouragement--isn't that really the most important lesson? David strengthened himself in the Lord. We all need to learn to do that. Get human help, yes, but go to God to really meet that heart-need for comfort in our souls. I think God must be smiling at Katie even now as she sleeps after a challenging day!

And I've also been encouraged at how Hannah is learning some of the same kinds of lessons at school--getting human help when needed for assignments, but learning to go to God and get the courage and encouragement we need on a daily basis. Sometimes I think a college degree is mostly about learning to deal with difficulty, growing that steel core of determination to persevere inside of us, and depending on God for help in new ways than ever before. All more valuable than anything professors can teach!

Abby too has been tackling hard things with preparing for the ACT. Again, that is an area where learning to keep going when it's hard, being mentally and physically tough to endure is necessary to succeed. So, no matter the score, I see growth in those things, and that is more important than the score any day!

Yay, girls! You're doing great, I love you each so much, and I am so proud of each of you as you walk with God and obey Him. Couldn't ask for more!

And with that, dear readers, I will go to bed thankfully knowing that God is good and that He loves us and will take care of us. What a great thing to go to sleep on!

3 comments:

Kaite said...

*one big enormous sigh*

SOOOOOO much of this lines up with what I have been thinking lately--two random ones:

"IN CHRIST" --a few mornings ago I reached for my Spanish Bible first thing because it was hard to wake up and I had memorized the Spanish version of Phil 4:12 like the English version--I can do all things BY/through Christ who strengthens me "Todo lo puedo por Cristo que me fortelece." But no, it was a pleasant surprise to find that it actually says "Todo lo puedo EN Cristo que me fortelece!" =D

Secondly, second thing this morning while I was getting ready I thought of when the dad comes home in Little Women and is all like, "I see burns and callouses on Meg's once pure-white hands, but they're much more beautiful now" and "I see that Amy is much less concerned about her poor little nose and more concerned about others" and stuff like that for all the girls and I was thinking how nice it would be to get a report card like that...voila! Perfect! You even put us all in which makes it even more perfect! ANNND you even said "I see" at one point (" I see growth in those things") which is just ridiculous, really. =D

And I would say that the attitude of realizing that everyone makes mistakes did not come naturally to the situation...and yes, it was definitely a struggle to not let Satan make me feel like a Bad Person, but the translation of "righteousness" is "justice" in French, which I found out by singing it in "knowing you" and it made me think a lot more deeply about the meaning of righteousness. In fact, I thought about Christ being my justice and that's how I ended up remembering that it's actually righteousness. So that helped me, to remember that it's him who decides my standing.

And I was thinking on the TGV home (to Tours) that all parents should be proud to raise children who follow the Glow, which is my mystical way of saying the little bit of light that illuminates the next step, be it big or small, on the journey.

And this was very philosophical and I need to go to bed! But thanks for a phenomenal post that I'll probably reread tomorrow. :)

Melissa said...

So glad my few thoughts were helpful and lined up with your thoughts too. Love that!

Melissa said...

So glad my few thoughts were helpful and lined up with your thoughts too. Love that!