Thursday, February 24, 2011

I've had a day off! At least mostly.

OK, so I just have been having a restful afternoon of reading The Element. And he has some really exciting ideas about fixing education--Katie and Hannah would LOVE his ideas, and apparently there are actual schools using some of them too. You should check out Reggio schools (there's a school in Dayton and one in Pittsburgh that are affiliated--they started in Italy), and A+ schools which started in North Carolina and is big in Oklahoma. There's another interesting school in Long Eaton, Nottinghamshire, England--Grange Primary. All about avoiding the standardized testing and actually TEACHING the children and not the SUBJECTS!! How amazing is that? So, there is hope, girls, of finding a way to use your education to teach children, but not having to be in the rat-race of standardized tests. They use all kinds of art, drama, interesting things to get kids excited about teaching. Oh, yeah--a lot like homeschooling! :)

I did laundry today, and Abby had driving from 9:30-11:30am. I made some jewelry because I COULD! I had time! I listened to Dave Ramsey while I worked, and it was truly enjoyable. I could get in "the zone" making jewelry if the laundry and the dog would allow. I was thinking about what that lady at the Hartville women's thing said about teaching classes. Maybe I should work on some jewelry to see if there's a craft show I could go to this spring, and then see if I could teach some beginning classes if there was enough interest. I have no idea if anyone would pay me to teach them the little I know, but maybe...Something to think about anyway.

Abby got home and did some school reading, then we ate lunch. I walked, and it was pretty nice outside--cloudy, but 40 degrees and very refreshing. At least not raining or snowing or sleeting. I was very thankful for being able to walk on the sidewalk in my tennies and not worry about slipping and sliding. It makes it so much easier to pray when I don't have to think about where I'm walking. I prayed a lot for my dear family and all that my girls have going on. We all have so many future questions that I have plenty to pray about every day!

I had a quiet time after I got back, and then when Abby went to babysit, I got my book and started reading again. Jeff said I could...lie on the couch and read a book. I got permission! :) So there! :) And that reading got me thinking about education, etc. Maybe things will really be able to change--at least in some places in some schools--and maybe eventually the success there will spread.

I'm making Tuna Alfredo tonight for dinner, so I don't have to start until 5pm. Another way I almost get a day off. Amazing how having a snow day on Tuesday with UV allowed me to do extra work then, and have a day off today. It's been lovely--another installement of the rest and recovery program. I guess it should be called "A Balanced Life" and become a regular event.

Aww...you should see Greta right now...She is curled up so sweetly in the middle of the chair on her blanket sound asleep. She was wild earlier, so I guess she wore herself out. We've been letting her outside without her leash since it was iced over, and she usually stays pretty close, but today I couldn't see her. I think she was under the deck, but I called for her, and she came trotting out. We may have to go back to the leash if she gets too adventurous. It's so much easier to clean her off now that I cut her hair.

I heard on DR today that only 1% of college students get a full-ride scholarship that includes tuition, room and board, books. He said it's so rare that they call it a "Miracle." I'm thankful we've experienced a miracle plus most of another one! :) Good job, girls! Thank you, Lord!

Well, now that I really have enjoyed an afternoon off, I should go and start the easy dinner I have to make. I know Katie won't be sorry to be missing Tuna Alfredo :), but Hannah might :)

Until later, dear readers!

No comments: