Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sunday, Sunday

Today was a good Sunday.  Jeff did an awesome job at "teaching his seminar" at church--he covered a lot of great info in a short amount of time and kept everyone on track with notes and pictures of cute baby otters.  He stole the baby otter pic idea from a guy at KSU who used funny pictures brilliantly to keep the college students interested at Hannah's orientation.

We ate at Chipotle with Rosie and Chris, and the kids ate with youth group kids.  The adults had to sit outside even though it was roasting hot because there were no seats for four people together inside.  There was a table who was finished eating and just munching chips at a very leisurely pace...was hoping they would take pity on us and get up, but they didn't, so we ate NYC-style in the heat outside. 

We came home and Jeff and Abby went to GE to get a newspaper then we hung out watching golf until they left again for Abby to babysit for Sophia, Riley, and Cora at the Reynolds.  Should be a fun night, unless the kids were scared of the thunderstorm we had soon after she got there.  (Ehne Thau called because it was really windy at her house and she just wanted to make sure we weren't going to have a tornado--and she didn't call it a "tomato") Abby got a little driving in today because she asks to go--by far the most motivated driving student we've had.  Guess she really doesn't want to be stuck here with me all the time alone.  She wants to be able to get AWAY!  :)

Hannah went down to the Fullers for youth group--too bad Abby had to miss it since it's right down the street, but she was happy to babysit!  It unfortunately rained and stormed on their "pool party" but I saw they were out doing water balloons.  Jeff and I ate grilled ham and cheese sandwiches and then took a walk. Then he helped me try to figure out my CD from Mrs. Jones and what's on it, so I could start working on preparing for that soon. 

The summer is going so fast!  There are so many things I wanted to do on my very long list, and I don't think I've done any of them so far.  Well, I guess I'll just keep trying to make the best use of every day and trust the Lord to make it all count somehow and to get done what's really important.  It feels like every day has a little (or big) chunk out of it, so I don't feel able to start any big projects.  But this week so far Thursday is all free, and I'm going to try to keep it that way so that I can tackle something that takes more than a couple of hours.

I was glad to see some of Karlien's pictures from the Prague trip--seems like they had a great time and I can't wait to hear Katie's stories from it!  I just told Jeff today that I haven't worried about Katie traveling, etc. in Europe at all.  I know there are things that could go wrong, but I really believe that she is where God wants her to be and is doing what God wants, and I can trust Him to take care of her in the midst of it.  Plus, she's a smart girl and makes good choices and uses her head--all important qualities when traveling!

No big "future career" revelations today, but reading further in John 15, I am realizing that whatever I end up doing, it will involve bearing fruit in God's kingdom.  Maybe it won't be a job where that is the focus, like a "Christian" job, but I believe I will be in a place where God wants to use me in the lives of others to bear fruit to glorify God.  He chose us to bear much fruit, fruit that remains.  I was also thinking how that is really the only "career" that could be fulfilling after the awesome one of raising my girls.  There is so much lasting, meaningful, eternally important stuff in being a mom, and I've often wondered what else I could ever do that will be worth my time after that!  Certainly not something that is just earning a paycheck.  It will have to be meaningful for the kingdom too, but maybe not obviously so at the beginning.  I will just obey whatever God shows me and trust Him to make it meaningful.

After reading more of "The Difference" I was kind of amused by how much of it naturally comes from being a Christian:  optimism, hard work, good relationships, hope, taking smart risks, having a network of people, delayed gratification.  Of course, not all Christians have all of those things, but it certainly is easier to have them.  And those are some of the qualities that wealthy people have.  So we kind of have a head start on being financially successful if only we would go for it and then use our money to change the world!  I kind of hope my next career affords me the ability to do just that!

Guess I'll go and read more and then hit the hay!

No comments: