Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Recovering from Rebirthing

Not much happening today.  I took Abby to work, went to Target, worked on sorting coupons and trying to figure out what to eat this week.  Not very successful though because a couple of the meals are for Jeff's birthday and Father's Day, so he needs to decide what he wants.

Abby worked until 3, then met with Kristen and went to the mall to do some shopping.  Jeff and I picked up the van.  It's been weird to have 2 cars, so it will be nice to have the van in working order again.  Thankfully, it doesn't break very often!

We ate some salad, Jeff had leftover Coccia House pizza with his, and some frozen fruit.  It was really warm today until about dinner time when it got windier and cooled off.  Therefore, my appetite wasn't very big, and salad sounded good.  However, now that it's 10pm, I feel kind of hungry.  But that's OK--breakfast will be waiting in the morning.

We are having the Karen girls over tomorrow.  I've been trying to plan this since I found out Abby's work schedule yesterday, but finally had to call EDD because she wasn't on facebook.  Now that Ehler's married, I guess she won't be coming over so much.  :(  So, hopefully EDD, EDP, and Ehne Thau can come--haven't heard from Be Bin either.  So, I guess we're having soup and rice for lunch at least!

Today wasn't quite as restful as yesterday--I didn't accomplish much more, but I felt like I should be accomplishing more, so I couldn't just sit and read without worrying about it!  I'm still tired though and am trying to give myself the week off of any big things to recover a little from the last month.

I've been thinking about how this stage of life is kind of like a "rebirthing" of our kids.  We have this mistaken idea when our kids are born that, after waiting for nine months, we finally get to have our baby with us.  What I'm seeing very clearly now (and what is probably good we can't fully understand until we go through it), is that the birth of a baby is simply the first step in that little new human being moving away from her parents.  Instead of being with mommy all the time, Baby is now separate and, while completely dependent, a very unique person who will continue to grow away from parents.  Crawling, walking, running, school, driving, college, travel, marriage all lead away from parents, and we have to adjust our thinking to having our kids with us, to realizing that our real task is to help those very things happen, no matter how much we'd love to keep our kids with us all the time.  So, just like labor is difficult, exhausting, emotional, and takes some time to recover from, so helping our kids enter the world in a greater way--through graduations, college, traveling, moving--can be all of those things too.  But the end result is also similar.  There is great joy in seeing how God has blessed us and in seeing how God is at work in our children's lives to take them to the next stage.  We wouldn't have it any other way!

No comments: