Saturday, July 31, 2010

The last post of July...How weird is that?

Haven't posted since Wednesday? What in the world have I been doing? Oh, yeah, Thursday Hannah and Abby and I cleaned all the hardwood floors. We would have waited until Katie got home so we could all do it together, but we decided to let her off the hook this time! We also cleaned the whole house, I washed rugs too so all of the floor stuff would be cleaned, then I cleaned the carpet in the living room and family room. Oh my, so dirty! I would still like to do it again to get the main traffic area cleaner. Since I have the stuff out. We went to Rachel's grad party after picking up Eh Dah Doe, Ehne Thau, and Be Bin. Eh Dah Po didn't want to come--too tired and too busy playing computer. They had a great time at the party playing with A and H on the playground at Lion's Park. And eating good food of course too. Chad and Eva came to the party too--Kay and Rachel had babysat for them on Wed. night and invited them to the party. So good to see them. Makes me excited for Kent people again. And I don't even go there!

We would like to plan a night to get together with them when Katie gets back. Guess we better get on the ball and plan it because that long-awaited day is coming soon! I've been putting everything in terms of when Katie gets back and now I have a whole lot that I haven't done and there's one more week. But that's OK too. I'll just work on what I can.

So, that was Thursday. Friday, I walked, did ACT stuff with Sarah (who is thinking she might go to Kent next year--she visited it and loved it!), then talked to Mrs. Jones about school stuff and realized the books I was given to look at might not match the study guides I was given, and then went to take Andrew to an orthodontist appointment. H and A went too, and we went to Target while I waited to go back and pick him up. After taking him home, we went to McDonald's to use our free Happy Meal coupons, then went to Kohl's and Wal-Mart to shop for Hannah's college stuff. She got a very nice comforter at Kohl's plus towels and still had $5 left on a gift card and got $10 of Kohl's cash to use next week for something else. It was fun! We got Icees at Target on the way home and finished out the day of being like other American families by getting pizza for dinner. Watched a Psych episode before going to bed.

Today was non-stop: I worked on getting stuff together for Rosie's shower tomorrow, did our financial stuff since we got paid, we went to the bank, bread store, thrift store, Marc's. Ehne Thau called last night around 9 or so and gave me a long list of things she needed for camp--she leaves Sunday. It started out: "Mrs. Melissa, when will you bring my swimming suit for camp?" Saturday. "Can you bring me some shorts too?" Yes, I got two skirts with shorts under them at Wal-Mart today. "Can you bring me a notebook and a pencil...and a sharpener?" Yes. "And do you have a Bible I could take? I can give it back?" Sure. "OK. Bye!"

A few minutes later she called back: "Mrs. Melissa, can you bring me some sunscreen?" Yes. "And some of that stuff that makes your hair smell good?" Shampoo? "Yes!" OK. "And can you get me a sneaker? Mine are old." OK, Can you look at them and tell me what size they are? "My mom threw them out." OK--look at some shoes that fit you now. "OK, Can you wait?.....It says, 'USA 4, EUR 28, MEX....' OK, you want the USA one, so size 4. Is that all? "Yes!"

I had to have Abby start typing a list since it got longer and longer as she kept talking! So I went to the thrift store and God provided several pairs of shorts, three pairs of shoes in various sizes (for 75 cents each), a belt, and a NKJV Bible for 25 cents that she can keep. I'm taking back the skorts to Wal-Mart since all of those other shorts were only $10 total and that's what I spent on two things at WM.

I made sandwiches for the shower and Abby had made the brownies for the church picnic, and then it was time to drop the stuff off at Ehne Thau's and go to the picnic. It was a lovely day for it--so pleasant. Got to hold Hailey again! She's so sweet--Emily is too, but she was sleeping so peacefully, she never got out of her car seat.

Came home and walked; Abby checked the Kile's pond and fish and plants since they'll be home tomorrow and we wanted everything to be done for them. I was disgusted by our garden when I went out to cut flowers for the shower, so we looked at what needed to be done out there and Jeff said he'll work on it tomorrow maybe. Just WEEDS! Drat that curse!

I was very happy to read that Katie made it to Cologne--and that the stressful time getting to the airport had a happy ending. Whew! It all happened while I was sleeping and when I woke up and read it was over and they were there, I said, "I didn't even have time to worry!" But I did pray yesterday while I was awake. Glad they are having such a great time and getting some family life--that's so encouraging and refreshing after living in a dorm for so long. The Goerings sound like awesome people as we fully expected they were!

So, tomorrow is Rosie's shower after church. Hannah is giving them her two week notice at Panera tonight. Sad, but true... But happy too... I've been feeling stressed about the classes I'm teaching because I don't know what I'm doing for two of them--the ones I just agreed to teach. But I need to trust God to help me DO what He's called me to do and not just in my own strength either. I'm meeting Karen at the church on Monday to look through her science stuff to see if there are things I need to get and how much I need to buy will affect what kind of lab fee I charge.

One encouraging thing that she said though when she asked how much I was charging for the history and LA classes, and I said, "Do people charge less for middle school classes than high school?" She said, "I would never do that, because your time is just as valuable no matter if you're teaching kindergarten or high school." So that gave me the freedom to charge the same as my other classes which will mean several hundred dollars more for the year.

OK, I'm very tired, and Ron just stopped by to drop some stuff off for the shower since Linda can't come after all. I'll try to write more later...Looking forward to sleeping. I finally got to sleep until I woke up this morning...Ahh...

No comments: