Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sometimes LT is Hard

Sometimes LT is hard. Yeah, it is, but we're managing to deal with the hard things. So, we left at 6:20am after getting up at 4:30am. The trip went pretty well actually except for before lunch, we were driving through the mountains in WV, I hadn't had much to eat, I got up too early with not enough sleep the night before (it was the wake up every couple of hours sleep to see how much more time I had to sleep--not very restful), and the sun was in my eyes, which all led to a very, very bad headache, the likes of which I have not had before. I knew I had to eat to feel better and to take Advil, but the food didn't taste good and I couldn't focus on anyone because my head hurt so much. So I ate what I could and took Advil and went out to the van to close my eyes and let the food help my blood sugar, etc. It did pretty quickly and by the time we had to leave again, I felt better--and thankfully we were out of mountains too.

We are in dorms--standard fare, bare bones: two beds, two desks, two dressers. No mirror. Communal bathroom. But AC at least which is necessary in NC in July. At least the sheets were clean even if the beds are hard!

However, last night there was not hot water for the girls who took showers. We thought maybe a bunch of people were showering before bed since we all just got here yesterday and there would be hot water this morning. Unfortunately, when I got up at 6:15 to get a hot shower, there was still no hot water. It wasn't "mountain spring" cold, but more "NC in July" cold. Still, it was a shock to the system, let me tell you! They are "fixing to fix it" today--or at least by tomorrow morning. That will make any other shower here more enjoyable than the one today!

We had a session last night and this morning and they've been good, but we still haven't had much time with our group. Feels different this year...the older kids are going to be gone with Tom Short for several things which will be good, but it doesn't feel as cohesive as other years. Partly, too, because we're split up into dorm rooms with two to a room. We're all in the same small area, and we have space right outside our rooms to sit and talk, but it doesn't have the homey feel of the condos where everyone is together all the time.

I was talking to Lisa Rohrig today and she said she likes this much better. Even though she drove a 12 passenger van all the way down herself, she prefers that to the bus. I like the bus better and the condos. She didn't like cooking, but I liked having real food and eating all together. So, it's good to hear different opinions and to see the good in this situation too.

For breakfast, we had cereal and yogurt and granola bars that we ate in our little area outside our rooms. For lunch, we had ham and cheese sandwiches and chips and apples. For dinners we eat in the cafeteria.

So, I think Jeff needs his laptop now to go and get ready for his breakout session on Conversational Evangelism. So I'll do more when I get a chance to get it back. It's very popular with Abby, Hannah, and Janice too. Good thing he got his new one before he left so he has two to share. So keep praying for us and especially for Jeff--he found out when he got here on Saturday, that they had him scheduled for his "Tilly" message on Wed. morning. He really wants to do it, but didn't have much time to prepare. He's excited to speak, but needs God's grace as always! (He said the water was still cold!)

No comments: