Tuesday, September 07, 2010

A Foodperks Grocery Trip Adventure

We had a fun weekend with Hannah home on Friday and Katie coming home on Sunday night after h2o. An unexpectedly free day on Saturday since we were planning to have the Karen girls over, but they couldn't come because their family went to Niagara Falls for the day. So we did some shopping, and we had dinner, and our friends, Kasey and Bethany came over for the evening and stayed in our basement overnight. They came to church with us and played in the band. Fun, fun!

Sunday evening we took Hannah back to go to church at Kent, and Abby and I went to babysit for the kiddos so that the moms could attend church. We're going to try to do that regularly. It was actually quite fun--the kids are so sweet and funny and adorable.

Sunday night we kind of ate some dinner after we got home--late--but we mostly missed dinner earlier. And we had cake and ice cream!

Monday we had the Karen girls over, so that involved cooking "soup and rice" (chili), and French fries too! We helped Eh Ler with homework, the younger girls played in the basement for a long time with the doll house. I'm so glad we kept that. They have played with it more than our girls ever did. We also made a trip to Wal-Mart for Eh Ler to get some school stuff and for Katie to get a few things too. I needed a large jug of vinegar for a science experiment on Wed. and walked out of the store without picking it up after paying for it. Guess I was a little distracted!! I went back though and the cashier had it for me.

Abby and Eh Dah Doe had baked a cake for EDD since her birthday was last Friday, and she said she didn't have a cake because her family was busy with something all week. She turned 13!! We've known them for over 2 years now. So when we got home from WM, we ate cake and shuffled them off in the van with Jeff and Abby so that I could make dinner, and we could eat and take a walk, and then take Katie and Hannah back, but not until quite late! Like 9 or 9:30pm! One of the great things about going to college close to home--we can take them back late and spend every minute together possible!

Today I woke up with a headache that I went to bed with last night. Too many late nights with my contacts in. I helped Abby with school stuff a little, balanced the checkbook, looked over my stuff for science class tomorrow, started to prepare for history next Monday. After lunch, we went to Giant Eagle for my first attempt at using my foodperks of 20% up to $300. Abby went with me since I knew it would take 2 carts to fit everything in.

I had planned carefully to keep my total close to $300--I was most concerned that they would be out of things that I needed in larger quantities to make my plan work. But that went well. Abby was a huge help, kept me laughing when she sang along to the musak, and kept me from buying the wrong things. We had two very full carts, and it ended up being three when they bagged them. I spent my $300, got $60 off, and my receipt was 57 inches long!! It also said I saved $201 with all of the sale items, coupons, and foodperks. Not bad! I got lots of chicken, pasta and sauce, chips, brownie mixes, some pop, yogurt, ice cream, frozen pizzas, sugar, and a few things I needed just for this week. Also got $1 off fuel just this trip, and since I put it on Discover, got the cash back too. Now I just have to take some money out of the grocery budget for the next couple of paychecks to balance it all out, but I think it was well worth the planning and collecting food at the store and carting it all home and putting it away. It made grocery shopping more of an adventure than a chore!

So then we watched a "What Not to Wear" to relax after our big event--Abby also knows how to relax after hard work--I like that girl!! :) I made tacos for dinner, was going to go for a walk, but it's been raining on and off, so we watched The Cosby Show until the DVD player started turning off on its own! Just then Glee started, so we've been watching that instead.

OK, so now it's almost time for bed, and I AM going to go to bed earlier tonight because I've been feeling like I might get sick today. Kinda stuffy, headache, tickly throat. But I'm hoping I can fight it off if I sleep.

Glad to hear that K and H's first English Conversation Group went well today. I'm excited for the people they will meet this semester through that. I'm sure the word will spread, and more people will come as the weeks go on. I'm sure that it will be a great learning experience for K, H, and everyone who comes. Go girls!!

BOW tomorrow--hope that goes well. I feel more prepared, so we'll see...
Good night, dear readers!

No comments: